Monday, August 24, 2009

I Want the Funk! (and More!)

Ohhhh... back to school, back to school
To prove to dad that I'm not a fool
I've got my lunch packed up,
My boots tied tight,
I hope I don't get in a fight
Ohhhh... back to school, back to school
~ Adam Sandler (Billy Madison)

It's that time of year! TVs across the country are blowing up with back to school commercials! Sadly, I have yet to see my all-time favorite BTS ad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cNDSPutas8. Dancing is practically a must have for these Aug-Sept ads and I've never seen better break it down boys than these in the Visa commercial. Old Navy has some decent dancers and JCPenny kids can bust a move in a big way. Remember a few years back the little girl they featured in their B2S commercial? Alyson Stoner. She went on to be in a Missy Elliot video, played Sally on Mike's Super Short Show (Disney thing), was cast in Phineas and Ferb, and finally hit the big time in the phenomenon that is Camp Rock. (And there you have it folks- my tangent du jour).

Staples' ad is worth mentioning as it captures a dad's joy at sending his kids back to school, while they are clearly dismayed. Or maybe they're dismayed because their friends will show up with bright, funky folders and pencils while their supplies are business casual. Hit the Easy Button kids, perhaps that will brighten things up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFsTPx5UrbA
Office Max disappoints with their hidden cam/penny prank commercials. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLpOjXOMFkg Even this guy's red hair doesn't salvage his commercials. When he tries to pay for large ticket items (diamond ring, car, etc.) with pennies he acts freaking smug and I end up pitying the salesperson and vowing to stop shopping at Office Max (or rather, I vow to not start shopping there). Bring back the rubberband man Office Max!

No comments: