Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Moms Can Be Cool Too!

Tonight I am hosting my book club at my house.  I adore book club.  It makes me feel like I'm a real person with my very own friends.  With one or two exceptions the women in my club do not have kids in Molly's class or at A's story time, their husbands are not snacky buddies* with Jim, their dogs don't run with mine.  They are my friends exclusively.  It is the one night a month I get drunk  have a glass or two of wine and then we have either intelligent conversation or fun, silly conversation, or both.  Every mom should have their equivalent of book club.

Last night I saw a Toyota commercial in which a kid notes, "Just because you're a mom doesn't mean you can't be cool".  Luckily, my kids still think I'm cool even when I'm singing off-key into a spatula or walking like an Egyptian to Poker Face.  I know these days are short-lived, but when the day comes that my kids are mortified by my each and every inhalation I'll be semi-prepared with my own interests and friends and non-mommyesque conversations! 
In lieu of the aforementioned commercial (not yet on YouTube) I've got a couple other cute Toyota commercials for you:




* Snacky buddy is a term I use for a good friend.  One day I will post about where this term originated, but it's a story in and of itself.

1 comment:

Nicki Woo said...

Love it! Wassup, wassup? I'm a cool mama too.

You are sooo cool. Maybe even my cool mama mentor. I so wanna have a book club. Once a month seems completely do-able. Now, I just need some friends who read.