Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Putting Out Fires

Molly told Jim and I she wants to be a firefighter when she grows up.  A noble profession, Jim and I agreed.  Jim pointed out she will be saving people's lives and that's cool.  While I was feeling all proud of my little hero-to-be she clarified, "I only want to get cats out of trees."  Oh.  Ok, still cool- my little animal lover.  "I'll save girl cats only," she added.

Ok, what?  Now you're just being snobby Mols!  Lately she's been all about girl power, which is fine, unless she's dissing boys.  Where would she get that?  Isn't it too early for cooties?  I point out to her regularly that Daddy is a boy, her uncles are all boys, and she has plenty of boy friends she loves playing with.  What's with the sudden cynicism toward the opposite sex?  Moms of girls?  Are you running into this?  Will she outgrow it and learn to like boys again?  I mean, stupid question- of course she will and then I'll curse the day I ever wanted her to like boys, right?  Right?
A firefighter who picks and chooses who and what to rescue.  That's seems so contradictory.

2 comments:

Carla said...

At least she didn't add 'only blonde girl cats.' : )

Nicki Woo said...

Well my sweet 4 year old girl wants to marry every gosh durn boy in her class. I'm really worried about the Hoochie effect.

Believe me, I'd much rather she be saving cats who are girls. I'm just sayin'.